Sunday, January 21, 2007

okay, so this weekend was one of those magical weekends for me. the one that just hits you that maybe your focus has been wrong, that you were wanting things for the wrong reasons, like a reminder of why we do the things we do and just how lucky we are all to have each other...

as i blogged earlier, i went to a Scrappin' Away Vacation (S.A.V.E) in the Poconos, PA this weekend hosted my Memory Lane, PA (LSS in Quakertown, PA). I have been to dozens of crops, long ones, short ones, far away ones, etc. But this one was by far the most amazing one I have ever been to and something I am glad to say I was a part of.

Ali Edwards was the guest designer and teacher for the weekend which was initially why we wanted to go so badly and because we wanted to support Rollie's store. We got an email a few weeks ago saying that this year's fundraiser for the event would be in honor of Simon, Ali's son, who turned five today. Some of us made donations, some hand made and others donated products....from croppin' bags to altered art and even a massage!!! lots of gorgeous stuff!!! WELL, thru a silent auction and a separate raffle (over 3 HuGe rolls of tickets) we raised $5192 ~~YES~~$5192 for Autism Speaks, a charity chosen by Ali that is near and dear to her. I am going to add the link to read about what she says b/c it is just so touching. http://aliedwards.typepad.com/

When Rollie presented her with the check there was not a dry eye in the room. She cried as she spoke and @ that moment I just melted and kinda grew at the same time. I was holding back my tears b/c once I start, I don't stop! and I looked behind at my friend Kim and tears were streaming down her face and I just lost it. I REALIZED RIGHT THEN AND THERE WHY SCRAP b/c if none of us did...if it didn't exist...if art and inspiration and what it means to all of us didn't bring us all together than that one moment would never have happened.

What a community we have created in this world...whether it is virtual or at crop...we have created something wonderful here that inspires us, moves us, and lives within each and every one of us and, I think, that is an ArT in and of itself....and more importantly...that we can create beauty both on AND off the page...

I am going to hang with my son now...peace out there to everyone...xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your comments on why scrap!! You put into one paragraph what I have not been able to communicate to my family and friends in thousands of words! Very well said. Keep on making these beautiful layouts...I love scrap-lifting them and putting them in my albums!!!!!!!!!!!